Young people in more than 150 countries to kick off week-long demonstrations with walk-out on Friday to call attention to climate change
Potentially millions of people worldwide including in New York City, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, Madison, Phoenix, Seattle, London, Berlin, Moscow and Hong Kong will walk out of workplaces and homes to join young climate strikers on the streets and demand an end to the age of fossil fuels.
New York City
In New York, 1.1 million students will be allowed to skip class and participate (with their parents’ permission), the city’s Department of Education said. March and rally to demand real action by the elected officials and world leaders. September 20 also marks the 2 year anniversary of Hurricane Maria that destroyed Puerto Rico. Activists from organizations representing Puerto Rican Diaspora are joining forces with the Climate Strike to commemorate the lives lost after Maria and call on government to Cancel the Debt which has been exacerbated by the climate crisis and the corporations fueling it.
- 12:00pm: Assembly at Foley Square (1 Federal Plaza, New York City, NY 10013)
- 1:00pm: March to Battery Park
- 3:30 – 5:00pm: Rally at Battery Park
- Vic Barrett, 20 year old climate justice activist
- Greta Thunberg, 16 year old Swedish Climate Activist
- Xiuhtezcatl Martinez, 19 year old Indigenous Climate Activist
- Julio Lopez Varona, Co director of Community Dignity Campaigns
- Grace Goldstein, 17 year old youth activist
- Rebecca Sabnam, 16 year old New York and Bangladeshi Activist
- Isavella Fallahi and Kevin Patel, youth activists
- Artemisa Xakriaba, Indigenous Amazonian Youth Leader
- Marisol Rivera, 13 year old Hurricane Sandy Survivor
- Varshini Prakash, Executive Director sunrise movement
- Dr. Ayana Johnson, marine biologist and founder of Urban Ocean Lab
- Special Performance by Jaden and Willow Smith
This will be a youth led action including a peaceful march and powerful rally at City Hall. Before the march, the gathering will begin at Cal Anderson Park for Climate Justice Fest: an interactive, family friendly space for everyone to learn, skill-up, play and plug into the movement.
- 9:00am- 12:00pm: Climate Justice Fest, Cal Anderson Park
- 11:30am- 1:00pm: Amazon Employees gather at The Spheres (7th ave & Lenora St)
- 12:00pm- 1:00pm: March from Cal Anderson to City Hall (Amazon employees join)
- 1:00pm-3:00pm: Youth Led rally for climate justice at City Hall
Fridays for Future, WA Strike, Climate Action Families, Our Climate, Zero Hour Seattle, Sunrise Seattle, 350 Seattle, UAW 3121, Got Green, Young Women Empowered, Transit Riders Union, Mazaska Talks, Amazon Employees for Climate Justice and many more.
11:00am: Start at John Marshall Park (Pennsylvania Ave NW in Penn Quarter). The march will then proceed to Capital Hill where NY Rep Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez will speak.
This is a kid-friendly, all aged welcomed, peaceful protest to raise awareness of the climate crisis and save our futures.
- 11:00am: Grant Park at the intersection of S. Columbus Dr and E. Roosevelt road
The march will then proceed to Federal Plaza.
Multiple schools, universities, business and more will walk out in Southern California to ‘wake up’ LA and ‘shake up’ the world.
- 12:00pm: Gather at Pershing Square (532 South Olive St, Los Angeles)
- 12:00pm-2:00pm: Speakers and music
- 2:30pm-3:30pm: March to City hall from Pershing Square
- 3:00pm-3:30: Closing at City Hall (200 N. Spring St)
Tomorrow we strike back!— Greta Thunberg (@GretaThunberg) September 19, 2019
Global Climate Strike September 20-27th:
In 156 countries
On all 7 continents
Find your local strike or register your own at https://t.co/G06WbXNvl1
Spread the word and see you in the streets!#FridaysForFuture #ClimateStrike pic.twitter.com/E6MSYFsqug
Verkehrseinschränkungen am 20.09.19 in Salzwedel— Polizei Stendal (@Polizei_SDL) September 19, 2019
in der Zeit von 11:30 bis ca. 13:30 Uhr findet eine weitere „Fridays For Future“ Demonstration statt. In der Innenstadt kann es in diesem Zeitraum zu kurzzeitigen Verkehrseinschränkungen kommen.
This is a youth led climate strike march going to different targets that are contributing to climate breakdown, leaving the mark at these places to let them know what the youth is fighting for. The march will start at the office of Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and will connect targets in government, finance, and energy. This action will be nonviolent and will not include property destruction. Planned to have many young people.
- 9:00am: Nancy Pelosi’s Office, San Francisco Federal Building, 90 7th Street